Saturday, April 2, 2011

#8 - Cutting for Stone

I purchased this book on audible.com after reading a review that compared it to The Help.  Personally, I would not have compared the two at all.  The Help is set in 60's America, told from multiple perspectives, and addresses early views of civil rights.  Cutting for Stone takes place primarily in Ethiopia, tells the life story of orphaned twins - the sons of an American missionary and an Indian nun working together at a missionary hospital.  This book was much slower to grab me - and had I been reading it from the printed page, I may have abandoned it.  It was much easier to keep listening while in my car with nothing else to do.  But once it finally hooked me (about 1/4 into it), I couldn't wait to hear more and dreaded it ending.

I find it a curious follow up to Roots and The Help.  I have certainly broadened my perspectives of Africa and African-Americans this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment